Saturday, May 12, 2012

Starting Out

One year and six weeks ago Brent and I got the surprise of our lives.  I had been sick for three weeks.  Jokingly, several people had asked if I was pregnant.  I laughed this off because it was not possible.  Not physically possible for me to get pregnant naturally.  But that question wouldn't get out of my head, so we swung by CVS and bought a pregnancy test.  While Brent was giving Clara her shower, I took the test.  To my amazement, there were the two blue lines.  Clear as day.  I screamed.  Brent came running.  I showed him the stick and we were both speechless.  Impossible.  Unbelievable.  Miracle.

Fast forward to October 26, 2011.  Our little man comes into the world.  I was recovering from the C-Section and didn't even know our baby had been rushed to the NICU with a pneumothorax (hole in the lung).  And so the medical carnival had begun.

At 8 days old, Connor came home.  In the hospital we noticed he had rapid eye movements and a droopy eyelid, and so we set up an appointment with a CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) pediatric ophthalmologist. He said Connor had nystagmus (eye movements) and ptosis (eyelid droop).  There wasn't anything we could do for the eye movements, but the ptosis would require surgery sooner than later.  At seven weeks, Connor got an eye lid "tuck" so his eye would be open and his visual development would not be affected.  The surgery was a success (not perfect, but functional).  Additional doctor visits and tests could continue for his eye issues.


In the last two months we (and the doctors) have noticed developmental delays in Connor.  He didn’t roll over until he was five months old, he cannot sit up, he doesn’t reach for things or grasp toys well. The muscles in his shoulders and neck were very tight - torticollis.  We decided to enroll in our county’s early intervention program and Connor qualified for physical and visual therapy.  At about the same time, our pediatric ophthalmologist suggested that Connor’s nystagmus (his shaking eye movements) are the result  of something more and not a standalone issue as we have been thinking.  He recommended that we see a neurologist and get a brain MRI done.  We saw a pediatric neurologist at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and Connor had the MRI on April 10.  The test showed abnormalities in the brain.  

Connor has been diagnosed with Joubert Syndrome http://jsrdf.org/ It is a rare genetic disorder in which the part of the brain called the cerebellar vermis (think cerebellum) is underdeveloped or missing completely.  In Connor’s case, his is smaller than usual.  A long and varied list of symptoms come with Joubert Syndrome and the severity ranges greatly (much like there is a spectrum that children with autism fall on).We don’t know where Connor will fall on the spectrum of JS.  There is more testing in the near future to learn as much as we can about his situation, but in reality a lot of it is wait and see.  We are confident in the care we are receiving through CHOP and are so grateful that such a fabulous facility is less than an hour from our home.

As you can imagine, this is quite a lot to digest as parents.  We are doing ok.  Some moments are better than others.  The unknown is hard.  We find comfort and strength in family, friends, your prayers and love.  Connor is a beautiful, happy baby and we remain hopeful that he will grow into a strong, healthy boy and man.  But we are realistic that that process for him will be more difficult and limited than for other children.  We thank God for his life and presence in our family. 

And so, I'm blogging.  I'm blogging because we want and need to keep our friends and family updated and we don't have the physical or emotional capacity to do it individually.  I'm blogging because writing is therapeutic.  I'm blogging because I'm terrified and overwhelmed in my role as a mother.  I'm blogging because we have a miracle on our hands and I want to share him with the world.  I'm blogging because I hope it helps us on this journey and just maybe will help someone else on theirs.

So that's where we're at.  I'm not committing to writing daily or weekly or monthly.  Just when I want to. :)  Thank you for praying, laughing, crying and journeying with us.


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart, your love, your pain, your journey. We are IN THIS with you!!! Much love & celebration for you blogging on your terms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly,
    Sometimes it takes someone elses journey to re-evaluate your own. Thanks for sharing your story as I am ashamed I was too wrapped up with life to have known. Peace and love to you and your family on this journey. Looking forward to reading your blog and seeing Connor and Clara as they grow as brother and sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holding you, Brent, Clara and Connor in prayer ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Molly, I have tears in my eyes right now. Just when I was thinking that I was at my breaking point with so many Gathering-related issues, your post and blog made me stop, and made my heart break with the fullness of all your love and devotion. You are such an amazing leader, mother, and role-model to others. Stay wrapped in the arms of Jesus, my friend, and find peace knowing that Connor is a blessed and perfect child of God in this world and the next, even as we all are, even in our brokenness. Peace, prayers, and hugs going out to you and yours.
    Donna Wiegel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying that God's presence in community will uphold all of you in prayer. Thanks for choosing to share. This way we can remember you daily. Blessings. Bill Kees

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly, I also had no idea that this was happening in your life. You are a strong woman and I love to see you doing everything in Conner's best interest. I love the blog idea also because I'm sure there are so many parents that are going through similar experiences with their children and I imagine it can be a constant emotional, medical, and political challenge. I hope you are able to connect with other parents and caregivers to teach the world and help each other through the challenges, frustrations and blessings. You are not alone, but I know you know that already. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly, I did not realize the extent of Connor's ailments. It really is overwhelming. You've been thru so much! We will keep you in our prayers. God bless you for posting your journey; it is theraputic and may also help other families who have seen simular symptoms with their children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Molly,
    My daughter has a friend whose last pregnancy was totally unexpected, but she had a beautiful baby boy. The tests showed that he was born with Cystic Fibrosis. Prior to his birth, she had not known much about CF at all. Her family was devastated, plus she had a husband and three other children. She got up so much gusto in trying to get services for Noah, and other children like him, that she even got an audience with the Governor. She found out that there wasn't even a support group for CF in her area. Through her work, she has even made the Medicaid people understand why they should cover the cost of a breathing machine for children with CF. And she started a support group.

    I am telling you this in order to tell you a statement she made that made her even stronger than ever. She believes that Noah's little soul was to come into this world in this body and she was chosen to take care of him because not just anyone could face such a task. This has brought her comfort and strength, especially in her faith.

    I care about you and your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers daily. You are a wonderful person and I have no doubt that God decided that Connor was so special that he had to choose a special family to take care of him.

    Love, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Dear Molly,

    I know God has a purpose for all you are going through, although those words may not be able to make sense right now.

    What does make sense is your complete devotion to your family and to Connor's health, the love you so willing share with your very large circle of loving family and friends, God's presence in your life and this blog.

    We love you. We support you. We will do whatever it takes to help you in any way. We will pray for you, Brent, Connor and Clara and for the doctors caring for Connor.

    And we will cry and laugh and listen and care.

    One thing I learned during an especially difficult time was to say NO when needed and YES when others offered their help, time and care. I would strongly encourage you to do that as well. Please ask for help when you need it so you can have that energy to focus on your family.

    Much Love,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Molly - you and Brent are in our daily prayers - and Connor is blessed to have your gift of parenting and love and faith - and Clara - what a treasure she will always be in his life. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete